New Mexico requires trailer owners to register trailers on New Mexico roadways. A New Mexico trailer bill of sale form can help you compile the necessary information to facilitate easy registration.
The bill of sale provides legal proof of ownership, which allows you to register your trailer for use in New Mexico. A trailer bill of sale for New Mexico includes the following:
- Trailer make, model, year, body type, and description
- Trailer size and dimensions
- Serial number or vehicle identification number (VIN), if available
- Prior registration or plate number
- Seller’s and buyer’s names, addresses, and signatures
- Dealership and lienholder information, if applicable
Registering a Trailer in New Mexico
Trailer registration in New Mexico depends on your trailer’s size and intended use. According to the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) New Mexico, there are three types of trailers registered in New Mexico:
- Regular Trailers: Regular trailers include most trailers, such as utility trailers, semitrailers, pole trailers, kit trailers, and homemade trailers not used for freight, recreational travel, or manufactured homes.
- Recreational Travel Trailers: Recreational travel trailers include camping and travel trailers towed behind another vehicle  .
- Freight Trailers: A freight trailer is a trailer pulled by a truck with a gross vehicle weight of over 26,000 pounds  .
Each of these trailer designations has different registration requirements and fees.
What Paperwork Is Required To Register a Trailer in New Mexico?
To register a trailer in New Mexico, you must prove ownership, establish residency, and verify the trailer’s value. You may need to provide the following documents:
- Manufacturer’s certificate of origin (MCO)
- Weight certificate if the MCO does not provide the trailer’s empty weight
- Dealer’s invoice
- New Mexico trailer bill of sale if purchasing a used trailer
- Proof of trade-in, if necessary
- Power of attorney and lienholder information, if necessary
- Driver’s license or state identification card
- Proof of New Mexico residence
- Current registration
- VIN inspection, if the trailer has a VIN number
- Affirmation for Specially Constructed or Reconstructed Vehicle
A freight trailer registration in New Mexico is permanent  . Utility and travel trailers for personal use that weigh 6,000 pounds or less can also register permanently. All other trailers must register on an annual or biannual basis.
Reconstructed, rebuilt, homemade, or shop-built trailers are subject to more rigorous safety standards. Usual trailer registration fees still apply.
Trailer Registration Fees
New Mexico charges registration fees based on whether you register the vehicle permanently or periodically.
Vehicles that qualify for permanent registration may owe the following fee  .
- Permanent registration for utility trailers is $25.00 for the first 500 pounds and $5.00 for every 100 pounds thereafter.
- Permanent registration for travel trailers is the total weight divided by two, then $25.00 for the first 500 pounds and $5.00 for each additional 100 pounds.
Non-permanent registration fees for trailers follow standard vehicle registration fees per the MVD. Registration may be for one year or two, with fees ranging from $27 to $214, depending on the registration period, vehicle weight, and model year.
Large trucks with a declared gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds range from $38 to $414, based on registration period, vehicle weight, and model year.
Exemptions to Trailer Registration Requirements
Utility trailers used for farming and ranching activities are exempt from New Mexico trailer registration, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the trailer and towing vehicle is less than 10,000 pounds. These exempt trailers can only transport products, supplies, and animals for farming and ranching.
Other trailer registration exemptions include tow dollies, motorcycle trailers, and trailers used in service of the U.S., state, local, Indian nation, tribe, or pueblo.
New Mexico Trailer Bill of Sale Sample
Download a New Mexico trailer bill of sale template below in PDF or Word format: