A Minnesota motor vehicle bill of sale form is used to document the details of a vehicle’s purchase and sale between a private buyer and seller. This form outlines the transaction details, including the agreed-upon purchase price, the vehicle’s condition, and any additional terms mutually agreed upon by the parties.
The buyer and the seller must sign the vehicle bill of sale, and the signatures should be notarized before a notary public.
An odometer disclosure statement must be attached to the bill of sale if the vehicle is newer than 2011 and under 16,000 pounds.
New owners must register their vehicles within 60 days of acquisition or after establishing residence in the state of Michigan (§ 168.012, Subdivision 8).
The registration must be renewed annually, online, at a DVS Deputy Registrar’s office, or by mail at:
DVS Renewal, P.O. Box 64587, St. Paul, MN 55164-0587.
Where to Register Your Vehicle
Vehicle owners can register and renew their vehicles through different methods. They can visit a DVS Deputy Registrar’s office in person or opt for registration by regular mail using an Application to Title and Register a Motor Vehicle (PS2000) form. Another convenient option is to renew the registration online through Minnesota DMV’s website.
Documents Required by the DMV Office
To register your motor vehicle, you need the following documents:
- Bill of Sale
- Odometer Disclosure Statement (Federal Form)
- Certificate of Title (you can apply for a replacement title by mail or at a Deputy Registrar’s office by completing an Application for Duplicate Title, Registration, Cab or Lien Card—Form PS2067A)
- Valid driver’s license
- Minnesota Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney (if someone else is registering the vehicle on behalf of the owner)
- Registration Fees
- Proof of Insurance according to the state’s Minimum Requirements (§ 65B.49. Subdivision 3a):
- $25,000 for the death or injury of one person in an accident
- $50,000 for the death or injury of two or more persons in an accident
Minnesota Vehicle Bill of Sale Sample
Below is a printable Minnesota motor vehicle bill of sale in PDF and Word format.