A New Jersey vehicle bill of sale form is a document used to transfer vehicles such as cars, trucks, RVs, and boats between buyers and sellers. A bill of sale form describes the vehicle, provides contact information for both buyer and seller, and gives the purchase price and date.
In New Jersey, you are required to have a bill of sale for vehicle sales unless the purchase price and sale date are included in the title. Nonetheless, it is a good idea for parties to have a bill of sale as proof of purchase.
New Jersey Vehicle Registration
Vehicles must be registered within 10 days of purchase. If you buy from a dealer, they will handle the paperwork. You must do the paperwork yourself if you purchased from a private seller.
New Jersey requires all vehicle transfers through the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) office. These transfers cannot be handled via mail because the owner must surrender the license plates in person.
Vehicle transfers in New Jersey are subject to sales tax unless the transfer is a gift.
Where to Register Your Vehicle
Buyers must make an appointment to register their new vehicle. Walk-ins are not accepted. Appointments can be made on the New Jersey MVC website.
Documents Required by the MVC Office
When you come to your appointment, be sure you have all your documents ready.
- Bill of Sale
- Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form OS/SS UTA)
Certificate of title
- The seller must sign the title, including the odometer reading, purchase price and date, and the buyer’s name, address, signature, and driver’s license number.
- Completed Vehicle Registration Application Form (Form BA-49)
- Driver’s license or ID
Proof of insurance
- $15,000 for bodily injuries per person
- $30,000 for bodily injuries per accident
- $5,000 for the property damage
Additional Documents You Might Need
- A New Jersey Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney if someone else is representing you during the registration process
- Dealer reassignment documentation
- Lien holder information and financing statement if the vehicle is leased or financed
- Motor Vehicle Commission EIN (Entity Identification Number) if purchaser is a company or business
- A completed Application for Certificate of Ownership if transferred from another state
Vehicles purchased at auction or from a state that does not issue titles must follow a different procedure. Other documents may be required.
Free New Jersey Vehicle Bill of Sale Sample
Our free New Jersey Vehicle Bill of Sale is available here. It is available in PDF and Word formats.