A Motorcycle Bill of Sale for Idaho records the transfer of ownership of a motorcycle between private parties.
It is proof the sale happened and protects the buyer and seller from fraud.
- What Is an Idaho Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form?
- Is a Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form Required in Idaho?
- Do You Need a Bill of Sale to Register a Motorcycle in Idaho?
- How Do I Transfer Ownership of a Motorcycle in Idaho?
- Does an Idaho Motorcycle Bill of Sale Need To Be Notarized?
- Buying and Selling a Motorcycle in Idaho
- How To Write a Motorcycle Bill of Sale in Idaho (What To Include)
- Idaho Motorcycle Bill of Sale Sample
What Is an Idaho Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form?
An Idaho motorcycle bill of sale form is a legal document that transfers ownership of a motorcycle from a seller to a buyer.
An Idaho motorcycle bill of sale generally contains the following:
- The full names, addresses, and signatures of the buyer and seller
- The date of sale
- The motorcycle’s odometer reading at the time of sale
- Information about the motorcycle, including the make, model, year, and vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Purchase price
- Warranties made by the seller, if any
Is a Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form Required in Idaho?
You aren’t necessarily required to have a motorcycle bill of sale in Idaho.
According to the Idaho State Tax Commission, you must have a bill of sale or a receipt as proof of the sales price when titling your motorcycle in Idaho.
An exception is if the seller enters the sales price on an existing title (for used vehicles). That said, a bill of sale is the best proof of purchase and shows that the sale occurred.
Do You Need a Bill of Sale to Register a Motorcycle in Idaho?
You can either use a bill of sale, receipt, or title (for used motorcycles) as proof of the sales price when registering and titling your motorcycle in Idaho.
How Do I Transfer Ownership of a Motorcycle in Idaho?
Here’s what you need to do to transfer ownership of a motorcycle in Idaho:
- Visit your local county assessor’s motor vehicle office.
- Provide the signed title properly released by the seller and lienholder (if any). The title should have the motorcycle’s odometer reading, the buyer and seller’s names and signatures, and the date of sale.
- Include a bill of sale form for Idaho or a receipt as proof of the sales price. A bill of sale is not required if the seller enters the sales price on the title.
- Have a Vehicle Identification Number Inspection Certification completed by the local sheriff or Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
- Pay the applicable title and registration fees.
The Idaho Transportation Department requires buyers to title a motorcycle within 30 days of the purchase date.
If they do not apply for a title within that time frame, they may receive a penalty fee.
Motorcycle Title Transfer With a Bill of Sale Only
Purchasing a motorcycle in Idaho with a bill of sale only is possible. A motorcycle bill of sale is acceptable in lieu of the registered seller’s release signature on the title.
Does an Idaho Motorcycle Bill of Sale Need To Be Notarized?
An Idaho motorcycle bill of sale does not need to be notarized.
Buying and Selling a Motorcycle in Idaho
Selling a motorcycle to a private buyer can give you significant amounts of money.
If you sell your motorcycle through a commercial car dealer, the dealership will likely retain between 10% and 50% of the bike’s retail value.
Follow the steps below to sell a motorcycle in Idaho.
Step 1 – Research the Motorcycle’s Value
Before you tell anyone about your plans to sell your motorcycle, research the bike’s value.
Use resources like Kelley Blue Book and input your bike’s mileage, year, make, model, and condition to get accurate estimates.
Step 2 – Take Photos and Videos of the Motorcycle
Next, polish your motorcycle and put it in a setting that highlights its condition, colors, and style.
You can then take photos and videos of the bike. Remember to take close-up pictures and videos of important parts like the odometer, engine, and tires.
Step 3 – Write a Description of the Motorcycle
Write a comprehensive description of the bike. Include the following:
- Why you are selling the bike — for example, you are planning to replace it with a new bike
- The bike’s mileage, year, make, and model
- Bike modifications (if any)
- The motorcycle’s sales price
- Whether you are the first owner of the bike. Some people prefer to buy bikes with as few previous owners as possible.
- How long you’ve owned the bike
Once you’re done, post the descriptions along with the photos and videos on multiple platforms, such as Autotrader or eBay.
If you’re planning to sell the bike to someone you know, you can just send them the description, photos, and videos.
Step 4 – Prepare Important Documents
Potential buyers may want to see documentation of your bike’s maintenance and repair history.
These documents can show them that they are buying a high-quality bike that is well cared for and in good condition.
Step 5 – Get a Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form
Before meeting buyers, download a motorcycle bill of sale form for Idaho.
Fill in the parts you can fill out by yourself, such as your address, full name, and motorcycle information.
Step 6 – Meet the Potential Buyer
Finally, you need to meet with the potential buyer to verify each other’s identity and documents. Be sure to remind them about the motorcycle’s sales price.
Once the buyer is satisfied with the price and the documentation, complete the motorcycle bill of sale and both parties can sign.
How To Write a Motorcycle Bill of Sale in Idaho (What To Include)
Here’s how to create your own Idaho motorcycle bill of sale.
Step 1 – Use Our Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form
Many motorcycle owners create bills of sale from scratch. However, doing so can take a lot of time and energy.
Consider using our printable Idaho motorcycle bill of sale template to accelerate the process.
Step 2 – Fill in the Buyer and Seller Information
Go to the document builder and fill in the buyer and seller information.
Step 3 – Fill in the Rest of the Form
Fill in the rest of the form by answering the prompts in our Idaho bill of sale builder. Be as specific as possible.
Step 4 – Review, Print, and Sign the Form
Once the form has been completed, both parties can review, print, and sign the form.
Creating an Idaho motorcycle bill of sale can be draining, especially if you don’t have the time or energy to write one from scratch.
Luckily, LegalTemplates’ printable motorcycle bill of sale for Idaho can help.
Just go to the builder and follow the motorcycle bill of sale template instructions and prompts. The builder will generate a complete bill of sale for signing.
Idaho Motorcycle Bill of Sale Sample
Below is an example of an Idaho motorcycle bill of sale.