If you are looking to buy or sell a motorcycle in South Dakota, you need a South Dakota Motorcycle Bill of Sale form.
This legal document includes the important details of your transaction, the participating parties’ information, and the price of the motorcycle among other critical details.
At Legal Templates, we make it easy to customize and download your own motorcycle bill of sale form for South Dakota.
- What Is a South Dakota Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form?
- Is a Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form Required in South Dakota?
- Do You Need a Bill of Sale to Register a Motorcycle in South Dakota?
- How Do I Transfer Ownership of a Motorcycle in South Dakota?
- Motorcycle Title Transfer With a Bill of Sale Only
- Does a South Dakota Motorcycle Bill of Sale Need to be Notarized?
- Buying and Selling a Motorcycle in South Dakota
- How To Write a Motorcycle Bill of Sale in South Dakota
- South Dakota Motorcycle Bill of Sale Sample
What Is a South Dakota Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form?
A motorcycle bill of sale form in South Dakota documents the transfer of ownership and records the details of your motorcycle sale.
It is legal proof of the purchase and sale and can serve as evidence to support your claim if there is ever a dispute about the transfer.
Your bill of sale form can help prove who the new owner of the bike is for purposes of registration, obtaining a new title, and much more.
Is a Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form Required in South Dakota?
Yes, South Dakota requires a bill of sale for the sale of motorcycles between private parties.
In addition to being a necessary requirement, a motorcycle bill of sale is also a helpful document for several reasons:
- Includes the details of your transaction
- Is a legally binding document when completed correctly
- Provides proof of purchase and sale for each party
- Contains the information to easily fill out other necessary paperwork to complete the motorcycle ownership transfer
Do You Need a Bill of Sale to Register a Motorcycle in South Dakota?
Yes, South Dakota requires a bill of sale for a motorcycle for registration with your local county treasurer’s office.
Documents required to register your motorcycle in South Dakota include the following:
- Certificate of title, signed over by the seller to the buyer and completed with seller and buyer names, purchase date, and purchase price
- Bill of Sale
- Motor Vehicle/Boat Title & Registration Application
- Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form DMV-611)
- Valid driver’s license
- Power of attorney form (if filing on another’s behalf)
- Registration fees
- Proof of insurance that meets or exceeds minimum requirements
How Do I Transfer Ownership of a Motorcycle in South Dakota?
Transferring ownership of your motorcycle is easy when you follow the right steps.
To transfer motorcycle ownership, you should:
- Use a printable motorcycle bill of sale for South Dakota to prove ownership transfer
- Seller signs over the motorcycle’s title to the new owner (buyer)
- Complete the Motor Vehicle/Boat Title & Registration Application
- Complete all other documents to register and transfer ownership of your motorcycle
- Pay the fees associated with the transfer
When you purchase a motorcycle from a dealer, they will likely take care of these steps for you.
In a private sale, however, you have to use a motorcycle bill of sale to help complete your transaction.
Motorcycle Title Transfer With a Bill of Sale Only
Under South Dakota law, if you do not have a motorcycle title signed by the previous owner, you will need a Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin and other necessary documents to register your motorcycle.
A motorcycle bill of sale by itself is not sufficient to transfer the motorcycle title.
Does a South Dakota Motorcycle Bill of Sale Need to be Notarized?
South Dakota does not require the motorcycle bill of sale form to be notarized.
However, notarization increases the document’s legitimacy and can help it to be enforceable in court.
You can choose whether to take this extra step to protect yourself.
Buying and Selling a Motorcycle in South Dakota
Before selling your motorcycle, follow each of these steps:
Step 1 — Cleaning and Repairing the Motorcycle
Repair any damage and complete any routine maintenance on your motorcycle to improve its sale value.
You should also clean the motorcycle body and parts to have it look its best.
Step 2 — Researching Your Motorcycle’s Value and Advertising
Research your motorcycle’s value by looking at sale prices for similar motorcycles.
You can also consult the bike’s Kelley Blue Book value to know how much to sell it for.
Once you decide on the asking price you want, write a good description and post your motorcycle for sale through online marketplaces, newspapers, and other forums.
Step 3 — Meeting With a Potential Buyer
Meet any potential buyers in person and check that they have a valid ID or driver’s license so that you know who you are speaking with.
Let them inspect the motorcycle and negotiate the final price.
Step 4 — Using a Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form
Download and complete the South Dakota motorcycle bill of sale template once you are ready to sell your motorcycle.
This document can help protect your legal rights and prove the details of your agreement.
How To Write a Motorcycle Bill of Sale in South Dakota
These steps can help you write your motorcycle bill of sale form correctly:
Step 1 — Download the Template
Start by using our South Dakota motorcycle bill of sale template.
You can customize it with the details of your agreement and fill in the important information so you do not miss anything crucial.
Step 2 — Fill in Buyer and Seller Information
Add crucial contact information such as the buyer’s and seller’s:
- Full name
- Telephone number
- Email address
Step 3 — Include the Purchase Price
Add the final agreed-upon price to your motorcycle bill of sale.
The bill of sale should also state the payment method used to purchase the motorcycle, whether it was paid in full, or any other payment arrangement that was agreed upon.
Step 4 — Fill in Motorcycle Information
You should identify important details about your motorcycle on your bill of sale form.
These include the following:
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Description of the motorcycle’s condition
- Accurate odometer reading
Step 5 — Signatures and Dates
Both parties should sign and date the South Dakota motorcycle bill of sale.
These signatures help make the bill of sale a binding contract you can use to transfer ownership of the motorcycle.
Our South Dakota motorcycle bill of sale template and instructions can help you create a customized bill of sale for your motorcycle.
At Legal Templates, our template builder makes it easy to create a bill of sale to document your motorcycle transaction.
South Dakota Motorcycle Bill of Sale Sample
Below is an example of a South Dakota motorcycle bill of sale form.