A motorcycle bill of sale form for West Virginia records a change in motorcycle ownership from the seller to the buyer.
Parties can use it as proof of purchase that the transaction happened and protect themselves from fraud.
- What Is a West Virginia Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form?
- Is a Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form Required in West Virginia?
- Do You Need a Bill of Sale to Register a Motorcycle in West Virginia?
- How Do I Transfer Ownership of a Motorcycle in West Virginia?
- Motorcycle Title Transfer With a Bill of Sale Only
- Does a West Virginia Motorcycle Bill of Sale Need To Be Notarized?
- Buying and Selling a Motorcycle in West Virginia
- How To Write a Motorcycle Bill of Sale in West Virginia (What To Include)
- West Virginia Motorcycle Bill of Sale Sample
What Is a West Virginia Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form?
A West Virginia motorcycle bill of sale form records a motorcycle transfer and sale in the State of West Virginia. It contains:
- The names, addresses, and signatures of the buyer and seller
- The motorcycle description, including the model, make, and year
- The motorcycle’s Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- An odometer disclosure statement
- Notary public certification
Is a Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form Required in West Virginia?
Yes. A notarized bill of sale is required if you buy or sell a motorcycle privately in West Virginia.
Do You Need a Bill of Sale to Register a Motorcycle in West Virginia?
Yes, you need a notarized bill of sale to register a motorcycle in West Virginia, along with a signed-over certificate of title and any other required documents.
How Do I Transfer Ownership of a Motorcycle in West Virginia?
To transfer ownership of a motorcycle in West Virginia, follow these steps:
- Create a bill of sale that the seller and buyer will sign and keep copies of.
- Get the bill of sale notarized.
- Seller signs over the motorcycle’s certificate of title to the buyer. The seller and buyer must sign the back of the West Virginia title.
- Both parties should go to a regional Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.
- Complete an Application for Certificate of Title (DMV-1-TR) if the title is from out-of-state.
- Present the signed title, notarized bill of sale, and copies of both parties’ driver’s licenses.
- Pay the titling fees.
Motorcycle Title Transfer With a Bill of Sale Only
You cannot transfer the motorcycle title in West Virginia with a bill of sale only. A motorcycle bill of sale is never acceptable in place of the registered owner’s release signature on the title.
To register a West Virginia motorcycle with no title, the buyer must ask the previous owner to get a duplicate title by filling out an Affidavit of Duplicate Title for a Vehicle (DMV-4-TR).
If the buyer purchased the motorcycle in another state, the buyer must ask the previous owner to request a duplicate or replacement title in that state.
Does a West Virginia Motorcycle Bill of Sale Need To Be Notarized?
Yes. West Virginia requires notary public certification for your motorcycle bill of sale.
Buying and Selling a Motorcycle in West Virginia
If you sell your motorcycle through a commercial dealer, the dealership will probably keep 10% to 50% of the motorcycle’s retail value.
On the other hand, selling a bike to a private buyer allows you to avoid fees and keep more of the sale price for yourself.
Here’s how to sell a motorcycle in West Virginia:
Step 1 – Research the Motorcycle’s Value
The first step when planning to sell your motorcycle is to research the bike’s value.
Go to Kelley Blue Book and input your motorcycle’s condition, make, model, mileage, and year to determine a fair asking price.
Step 2 – Take Photos and Videos of the Motorcycle
After pinpointing a reasonable asking price, it’s time to take videos and pictures of your bike.
Polish your bike and park it in a place that highlights its style, condition, colors, and modifications (if applicable).
Step 3 – Write a Description of the Motorcycle
Next, create a concise but comprehensive description of the motorcycle.
Make sure to include the following:
- Your reason for selling the motorcycle
- The motorcycle’s make, model, mileage, and year
- The bike’s asking price
- The bike’s main features, including accessories and modifications
- How long you’ve owned the motorcycle
Post the description along with the videos and photos on multiple platforms, such as eBay and Facebook Marketplace.
If you sell the bike to someone you know, you can send them the information directly. You can also arrange for them to see the bike in person.
Step 4 – Prepare Important Documents
Prospective purchasers want to buy a bike that is worth their money. As such, you should produce your motorcycle’s maintenance and repair documentation.
You should also gather and prepare other important documents, including:
- A West Virginia motorcycle bill of sale form
- The motorcycle’s certificate of title
- Your West Virginia driver’s license or ID
Step 5 – Meet with the Potential Buyer
Finally, you should arrange a face-to-face meeting with the prospective buyer to verify their identity and exchange documents.
After ensuring that the buyer is who they say they are, remind them of the motorcycle’s asking price.
If satisfied with the price, they can complete and sign the motorcycle bill of sale for West Virginia and the other documents.
The next step is to get the bill of sale notarized. Afterward, you can finish the transfer process by heading to the DMV with the buyer.
How To Write a Motorcycle Bill of Sale in West Virginia (What To Include)
Follow these steps to write your own West Virginia motorcycle bill of sale.
Step 1 – Use Our Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form Generator
Many motorcycle owners create their bills of sale, which can be an exhausting and daunting process. Consider using our motorcycle bill of sale template to speed up the process.
Step 2 – Answer LegalTemplates’ Document Builder Prompts
Next, go to LegalTemplates’ bill of sale document builder. You can answer prompts about the buyer, seller, and motorcycle to generate a motorcycle bill of sale there.
If you don’t have the buyer’s information, bring a laptop to your face-to-face meeting with them. They can fill out the rest of the form on the laptop.
Step 3 – Review, Print, and Sign the Form
Once the bill of sale form is complete, you can print it and have both parties sign the document before getting it notarized.
Consider using LegalTemplates’ printable motorcycle bill of sale for West Virginia for an easy, streamlined process.
All you have to do is follow the motorcycle bill of sale template instructions and prompts.
Once you fill everything in, the document builder will create a complete bill of sale for signing.
West Virginia Motorcycle Bill of Sale Sample
Below is an example of a West Virginia motorcycle bill of sale form.