A Rhode Island Bill of Sale is a legal document used to transfer ownership of a valuable item from one person to another, based on the specific state laws of Rhode Island (RI).
You should use a Bill of Sale in Rhode Island if you’re buying or selling a car (or any vehicle), a boat, a gun/firearm, a motorcycle, or a horse.
Bill of Sale – By Type (5)
A form to buy or sell a motor vehicle in the state of Rhode Island. In many states, a bill of sale is required to register a vehicle at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
A document to transfer ownership of recreational water vehicles (such as motorboats, sailboats, yachts, and jet skis) in the state of Rhode Island.
Use a Rhode Island trailer bill of sale to buy or sell a trailer (or any non-motorized vehicle pulled by another vehicle) in the state of Rhode Island and register it at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
A document to transfer ownership of a gun (such as a handgun, rifle, or shotgun) in the state of Rhode Island, and avoid legal or criminal issues involving the weapon after it is sold.
A form to record the transfer of a motorcycle in the state of Rhode Island. By detailing information about the bike sold, you can protect yourself from fraudulent sales.
Vehicle Registration Forms
- Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form TR-1)
- Bill of Sale
- Proof of insurance
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Tax Form (T-334)
- Documentation of the Gross Vehicle Weight
- Registration and title fees
- Valid driver’s license or ID
- Power of Attorney (if registering on behalf of someone else)
- A sticker indicating the passage of an emissions and safety inspection
Boat Registration Forms
- Boat Registration Application
- Outboard Motor Registration Application
- Bill of Sale
- Pencil Tracing of Hull Identification Number conforming with US Coat Guard guidelines 
- Application for Initial Vessel Certificate of Title (if purchased from dealer)
- Proof of payment of all registration fees