A Rhode Island motor vehicle bill of sale form makes it easy to create a proof of purchase for a motor vehicle.
This document legally changes the ownership of a car, motorcycle, truck, or vehicle for purchase. It includes vital information to effectuate the transfer and make the transfer legally binding on the parties.
A bill of sale form is required in Rhode Island whenever a vehicle is purchased anywhere other than at a licensed dealer. Legal Templates can help you create the form you need.
Rhode Island Vehicle Registration
Rhode Island residents must register their vehicles with the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). When a vehicle is purchased at a dealer, the dealership usually handles this registration. You must register the vehicle when you make a private sale or purchase.
Where to Register Your Vehicle
When you are ready to register your vehicle, you can appear in person at a local Rhode Island DMV location. You can also complete the registration online, by mail, or by placing the forms and fees in a drop box at a DMV location.
American Automobile Association (AAA members) can register at their AAA branch office location.
Documents Required by the DMV Office
Documents you will need to register your vehicle include:
- Application for Registration and Title Certificate (Form TR-1)
- Documentation of the Gross Vehicle Weight
- Title (if vehicle model year is 2001 or newer, signed by seller on the back)
- Bill of Sale
- Tax Form (T-334)
- Power of attorney if someone else is representing you at the DMV
- A vehicle identification number (VIN)
- A valid driver’s license or state ID
- Registration and title fees
Proof of insurance that meets Rhode Island minimum requirements
- $25,000 for bodily injuries per person
- $50,000 for bodily injuries per accident
- $25,000 for property damage
- A sticker indicating the passage of safety and emissions testing
You can check if you have all the required documents here for vehicle registration.
A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) check is required before registering a vehicle if the title is from another state or the vehicle was registered in another state, and the model year of the vehicle is 2001 or newer.
Rhode Island Vehicle Bill of Sale Sample
Below is a printable Rhode Island vehicle bill of sale in Word and PDF formats. You may also use our template builder to create your document step by step.