A Mississippi motor vehicle bill of sale form documents the details of a vehicle’s purchase and sale between a private buyer and seller. It includes the terms of the transaction, such as the mutually agreed-upon purchase price, the condition of the vehicle, and any additional terms negotiated and accepted by both parties.
The form requires notarization and should contain the signatures of both the buyer and the seller.
An odometer disclosure statement (Form 78-015) must be attached to the bill of sale if the vehicle is newer than 2011, under 16,000 pounds, and self-propelled.
New owners must register their vehicles within 7 days of acquisition, and the registration must be renewed annually. If you buy a vehicle outside your home county, you must transport it to your residence or place of business within 48 hours and register it within 7 business days to avoid penalties.
Where to Register Your Vehicle
Here is where to register your vehicle in Mississippi based on the vehicle type:
- GVW 10,000 pounds or less: Register at your local county Tax Collector’s office based on the vehicle’s domicile or overnight parking location.
- GVW over 10,000 pounds, within Mississippi: Register at your local county Tax Collector’s office.
- GVW over 10,000 pounds, across state boundaries: Register at the Department of Revenue office in Clinton, Mississippi.
Documents Required by the DMV Office
You need the following documents to register your vehicle in Mississippi:
- Bill of Sale
- Odometer Disclosure Statement
- Certificate of Title (if you need to replace the title, fill out Application for Replacement Certificate of Title—Form 78-006)
- Valid driver’s license
- Registration Fees
- Proof of Insurance according to the state’s Minimum Requirements:
- $25,000 per accident per person
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
- $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
If someone else is acting on behalf of the owner, you will need a motor vehicle power of attorney.
Mississippi Vehicle Bill of Sale Sample
Below is a printable Mississippi motor vehicle bill of sale in PDF and Word format.