A DJ contract puts the details of your job in writing. When you accept an event or a gig, you want to make sure you understand exactly what the client wants and that they know what you will offer.
Read on to learn more about DJ contracts and download a free template.
What Is a DJ Contract?
A DJ contract is a legally binding agreement between the disc jockey and their client. Most DJs are independent contractors who work for themselves and should use a written agreement to protect their business. Others are employees of a company who should always have customers sign a written document.
DJ contracts are also called the following:
- Wedding DJ contract
- Contract for DJ services
- DJ services agreement
- Event DJ contract
When To Use a DJ Contract
You should use a DJ contract anytime you offer your services. This can include many types of events such as:
- Weddings and wedding receptions
- Corporate events
- Private parties
- Club events (whether one-time or recurring)
- Birthday parties
Why Use a DJ Contract?
You should use a DJ contract because of its many benefits — whether you are a DJ or a client who will hire one. A DJ contract:
- Creates consistent agreements between different clients
- Makes sure both parties know their responsibilities and expectations
- Creates a legally enforceable agreement
- Establishes that the event date and other key details are well-defined
- Clearly outlines payment information and due dates
- Avoids surprise requests or discrepancies
What To Include in a DJ Contract
A DJ contract template gives you the standard legal language you need. You should include provisions such as the following.
Jurisdiction and Date
The contract should state where it was signed and on what date. This is important legal information if there is ever a contract dispute.
Identification of DJ and Client
The parties’ contact information should be a part of the agreement. This includes the name of the DJ, their business address, any official titles, and the client’s information.
Description of DJ Services
Your DJ contract should clearly outline the services you will perform. This could include, but is not limited to:
- Any special music, genres, or eras you are expected to play
- Whether the sale of goods is a part of your deal (i.e. party favors, discs, etc.)
- The date and time of the DJ services
- How long the event will take
- The type of event
- The flat rate or an hourly rate of the DJ services
- Any extra requests
Standard Legal Clauses
Certain standard legal clauses help protect your rights and your business. This legal language is easy when you use a printable DJ contract PDF.
Every DJ contract should have a place for the DJ and the client to sign. This is key to making a legally enforceable agreement.
DJ Contract Sample
Below you can download a free DJ contract template in PDF or Word format: