Putting together a roofing contract that is detailed and legally enforceable should be the first step before any work is done to repair or replace a roof.
A roofing contract template will allow you to create a legally binding and comprehensive agreement quickly and easily.
What Is a Roofing Contract?
A roofing contract is a written agreement for roof repair or replacement services. It is a legally binding document that details important aspects of the deal, including costs and materials. The written agreement outlines what the parties have agreed to before the roofing work gets started.
Can Roofing Contracts Be Negotiated?
Negotiation is common when it comes to roofing. When discussing the terms of the roofing work, the customer and contractor will talk about:
- The parties’ expectations about the deal
- The terms of the agreement
- When they want the work to occur
- The price of the work and materials
- Any special details
Negotiation usually occurs verbally but any changes should be noted in the written agreement. Many contractors use a form agreement to save time and provide consistency in their business.
Written contracts are often interpreted by only what is written. Remember that any verbal changes or negotiations that are not written down may not be enforceable.
Why Use a Roofing Contract?
Using a roofing contract is important for several reasons. First, it’s simply good customer service. The contract confirms everything the parties agreed to, including exactly what the job will entail. It’s also crucial to have everything in writing in case there is a dispute during the job or after it’s finished.
Using a simple roofing contract template makes this step easy, efficient, and cost-effective.
What To Include in a Roofing Contract
You should include certain key terms in your written contract. These include, but are not limited to:
- Date of the agreement. The date of the agreement indicates when it was signed.
- The parties. The written roofing contract should name and identify the parties who will sign the agreement. It should include their name, title, and business name as applicable.
- Services description. The agreement should outline what services will be provided. Include as much detail as possible, including what work will occur and when. This information makes the agreement legally binding and also ensures that both parties know what to expect from each other.
- Price. A roofing contract should note how much the roofing services will cost. This should include a total stated price or how the cost of the project will be calculated.
- Legal rights and waivers. A contract template will provide you with standard rights and waiver clauses that help protect your legal rights.
- Signature lines. The contract should have a place for the parties to place their signatures and printed names.
Roofing Contract Sample
Below is a sample roofing contract you can use to help you get started. This free printable roofing contract template can be downloaded in PDF or Word format: