An Oklahoma vehicle bill of sale is used to legitimize the transfer of ownership by proving that a vehicle is being honestly sold and purchased by both parties in the transaction.
A vehicle bill of sale lists information about the buyer, the seller, and the vehicle in question, including details regarding how much was paid. This documentation is required to receive an Oklahoma vehicle title for the vehicle in your name.
Oklahoma Vehicle Registration
When you purchase a vehicle in Oklahoma, you have 30 days to register the title in your name. The vehicle bill of sale in Oklahoma verifies that you are the legal owner and allows the state to issue you a standard Oklahoma license plate and decal.
You can also transfer a license plate previously registered to you to your new vehicle.
Where to Register Your Vehicle
Beginning January 1, 2023, Service Oklahoma (SOK) handles all vehicle registrations and renewals. You can visit any of the 250 licensed operator locations across the state, previously known as tag agents, to register your vehicle.
Documents Required by the DMV Office
In order to obtain or transfer a vehicle title in Oklahoma, you will need the following paperwork:
- Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (new vehicles only), an Oklahoma Bill of Sale for the Vehicle, or a Declaration of Vehicle Purchase Price form
- a valid driver’s license or FEI number
- any lien documentation if you are making payments to a financial institution for the vehicle (the title will be held by the lien holder until paid off).
- proof of Oklahoma liability insurance
- a notarized Application for Oklahoma Certificate of Title for a Vehicle
- a completed odometer disclosure statement for vehicles manufactured after 2011
- if transferring a vehicle from another state, the out-of-state vehicle title
- title, registration, and tax fees
How to Write a Bill of Sale for a Car in Oklahoma
Step 1- Choose a Form
You can complete the Oklahoma Declaration of Vehicle Purchase Price or use our free Oklahoma Bill of Sale Form, available in PDF or Word format.
Step 2- Fill in Vehicle Information
Provide the year, make, model, and color of your vehicle, as well as the vehicle identification number (VIN) located on the driver’s side dash. Verify when and where the vehicle was purchased and the amount you paid.
Step 3- Complete Buyer Information
Provide identifying and contact information for the vehicle buyer, including legal name, address, and phone number.
Step 4- Fill in Seller Information
Complete the section of the form for the seller, verifying that his or her name matches the name on the vehicle’s title and their state-issued driver’s license.
Step 5- Have the Form Notarized
You will need to have the form notarized and stamped by a notary public.
Step 6- Provide Copies
Make enough copies of the form for the seller and the SOK agent registering your vehicle and retain them for your own record keeping.
Free Oklahoma Bill of Sale Form
Below you will find a free printable Oklahoma Bill of Sale form that you can use to transfer ownership of a vehicle into your name.