An electrical contract is a legally binding agreement between the electrical contractor and a client. It sets forth the scope of the work and provides legal protections for the client and contractor alike.
A free electrical contract template makes it simple to build your agreement and protect your rights.
What Is an Electrical Contract?
Electrical contracts are used throughout the energy industry. Contractors use these agreements to set the scope of the work they will do and set legal limitations on the work. It can cover any type of electrical service, from relatively minor work to major projects.
Other names for electrical contracts include the following:
- Electrical service agreement
- Electrical agreement
- Electrical employment contract
- Electrical contract agreement
When To Use an Electrical Contract
You should use an electrical contract any time you offer electrical services or hire a contractor. These services might include, but are not limited to the following:
- Running new electrical wiring
- Repairs to existing electrical systems
- Installation or maintenance of appliances or objects that use electricity
- Installation of fiber optics
- Large or small electrical projects
Why Use an Electrical Contract?
You should use an electrical contract to get key benefits from this written agreement. These benefits include the following:
- Clear guidelines about the work and client expectations
- Improved customer service with customers
- Clear dates and times for when the work will be performed
- Sets a defined price or method for calculating the cost of the work
These and many other benefits help protect you from loss, confusion, and customer satisfaction issues.
What To Include in an Electrical Contract
A free electrical contract template includes key provisions you should include every time you do electrical work, including:
Jurisdiction and Date
Each agreement should include when the agreement was signed and in which state the contract was signed. This may have an important impact if the contract should be disputed at a later date.
Party Contact Information
Every contract should list the names and addresses of the parties. This should include any business names, official titles, and other contact information that helps to identify who is bound to the contract.
Description of Electrical Services
The electrical contract should discuss in detail what electrical services are expected. This lays out key details for the contractor and client, including the following:
- What is expected of the contractor
- When the work should be performed
- The scope of the work
- The sale of goods or materials as part of the electrical work
A comprehensive electrical agreement template includes standard legal language that protects the contractor and client. This includes choice of law, dispute resolution, and cancellation terms.
Every written contract should be signed. It should include a section for the parties to print and sign their names. An unsigned agreement is likely unenforceable.
Electrical Contract Sample
Below is an electrical service contract sample you can use to protect your rights: