If you operate a business at home and have a dedicated workspace that’s your primary place of business, you might be eligible for a tax break for home office expenses.
What Is Form 8829?
Form 8829 is an IRS tax form that sole proprietors can file with Schedule C (Form 1040) to claim a tax deduction on home office expenses.
You may be eligible for a deduction if one of the following applies to your business:
- You work from home and have a workspace that’s exclusively and regularly used for business purposes
- You operate a daycare from your home
- You have a room dedicated to inventory/product samples
Form 8829 helps you claim a deduction for expenses such as:
- Maintenance and repairs
- Depreciation of your home
- Deductible mortgage interest
Remember that these deductions are scaled to the square footage of your home office or workspace, not the entire home.
How to Complete Form 8829
Form 8829 helps you calculate the allowable deduction for home business expenses.
Our builder simplifies this process by asking you questions about your home office space so you can ensure you’re claiming all possible deductions on legitimate business expenses.
Form 8829 Sample
Here’s what the 8829 form looks like: