A vehicle bill of sale in South Dakota outlines the details of a transaction between the seller and buyer of a motorized vehicle. This document, also known as Form MV-016, indicates a change in ownership via the vehicle’s title from one owner to another.
South Dakota laws require that a signed bill of sale is submitted in person to the county treasurer’s office, along with a copy of the vehicle’s title. These documents may not be submitted online. (§32-3-5, §32-3-6) 
Beginning January 1, 2021, individuals will be required by a new federal rule to fill out an odometer disclosure when transferring a vehicle less than 20 years old and weighing less than 16,000 pounds.
According to the South Dakota Department of Revenue, which handles vehicle registrations, more than 1.2 million vehicles are registered in the state. The Department of Revenue handles all vehicle registration-related business, including transferring titles from the seller’s name into the buyer’s name when a vehicle is sold and purchased.
Where to Register Your Vehicle
Motor vehicle registration and titling for recently purchased cars can be done at your county treasurer’s office. Renewals can be completed online through South Dakota’s online customer portal or at self-service kiosk locations nationwide.
Documents Required by the County Treasurer’s Office
To register your new vehicle in South Dakota, you will need the following documents:
- Bill of Sale
- Odometer Disclosure Statement
- Motor Vehicle Title & Registration Application
- Certificate of Title
- If you need a duplicate title, complete the Duplicate Title Application Form 1002.
- Uniform Mileage Disclosure Statement
- Power of Attorney, if someone other than the buyer is handling the registration
- A valid driver’s license
- Registration fees
Proof of insurance with minimum requirements
- Bodily Injury: The first two numbers in the liability coverage tell the amount your policy will pay for bodily injury due to an accident.
- Property Damage: The third number in the liability coverage tells the maximum amount the policy will pay for property damage in one single. accident
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage
South Dakota Vehicle Bill of Sale Sample
See our free, printable South Dakota vehicle bill of sale template below. It’s available in both PDF and Word formats.