A transcript request form is a document you can use as a student or former student to obtain a copy of your academic records from an educational institution. You can use this form to seek an unofficial or official transcript from a high school, college, university, trade school, or another educational institution.
What Is a Transcript Request Form?
A transcript request form requests a student or former student’s academic history from an educational institution. The transcript includes their grades, the courses they’ve taken, and whether they have graduated.
In certain situations, you may be required to prove your academic history and enrollment in a school, and you will have to request an official academic transcript. It can be necessary when you are:
- Applying to a new high school or college
- Transferring schools
- Applying to graduate or professional school (i.e., law or med school)
- Applying for a job
Most universities and colleges require you to pay a fee when submitting a transcript request form. Before submitting your paper, check with your university or college’s registrar to know how much you should pay.
IMPORTANT: Unofficial vs. Official Transcripts
When you’re filling out a transcript request form, you can specify whether you want an official or unofficial transcript. Your former educational institution sends an official transcript in a sealed envelope directly to the organization that needs it. An official transcript also has the registrar’s signature. An unofficial transcript is simply for your records.
What to Include in a Transcript Request Form
Include the following information in your transcript request form:
- Your full name
- Your date of birth
- Your phone number and email address
- The institution you attended
- The dates you attended the school
- Your student ID number
In addition to including the information above, you should also ensure the following is in your transcript request form:
- Mention whether you want to request an unofficial or official transcript.
- Indicate where you’d like the educational institution to send the transcripts. Include contact information if necessary.
- Attach the payment or proof of charge for the transcript if needed. Check your school’s rules regarding how to pay for a transcript request.
- Mention if the transcript request is urgent, which can help expedite the process.
- Indicate if you’ve included proof of ID, a copy of your degree, or other documents if your educational institution requires them.
Tips for Writing a Transcript Request
Remember to keep these tips in mind when writing your transcript request letter:
- Keep everything concise and straightforward. The body of your letter should be no more than three paragraphs.
- Contact your school before writing the letter so you know what to include. For example, provide a check with your transcript request letter if your school requires you to do so.
- Send your request form in a timely manner. Write and send your transcript request form as soon as possible to give your school time to process the request and send the transcript.
- Write a sentence referencing any attachments. Some schools may require you to provide supporting documents. If you attach other documents to your main form, inform the reader of these documents.
Transcript Request Sample
Download our transcript request form, which is available in both PDF and Word formats:
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I request a transcript?
You can request an official or unofficial transcript from your school’s registrar or guidance office.
If you’ve requested an unofficial transcript, the school will send the transcript directly to you. On the other hand, if you’ve asked for an official transcript, the school will send the transcript directly to your employer or school. Official transcripts are always shipped in a sealed envelope to prevent tampering; if the envelope is opened, the transcript will no longer be considered official.
Some postsecondary schools may require you to pay a small fee for requesting and sending out an official transcript. These fees are usually paid and processed online through the registrar’s office portal.
How long does it take to request a transcript?
How long a transcript request takes depends on the kind of transcript you’re requesting. For example, if your employer or prospective school accepts electronic transcripts, it may take a day for your current school to process your request for an electronic transcript. If you’re requesting a hard copy transcript, it may take up to a week for your school to process your request.
When will employers check my transcript?
An employer may check your transcript to verify your educational background if you’re applying for a high-level job that pays a lot of money. If you’re applying for an entry-level job that doesn’t have any significant educational requirements, an employer may choose not to check your transcript.