You can use a motorcycle bill of sale form to register your motorcycle in Alaska.
A motorcycle bill of sale form for Alaska contains information such as the names of the seller and buyer, the terms of the sale, and a description of the motorcycle. It also serves as proof that ownership of the bike changed hands.
- What Is an Alaska Motorcycle Bill of Sale?
- Is a Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form Required in Alaska?
- Do You Need a Bill of Sale to Register a Motorcycle in Alaska?
- How Do I Transfer Ownership of a Motorcycle in Alaska?
- Does an Alaska Motorcycle Bill of Sale Need to Be Notarized?
- Buying and Selling a Motorcycle in Alaska
- How to Write a Motorcycle Bill of Sale in Alaska
- Alaska Motorcycle Bill of Sale Sample
What Is an Alaska Motorcycle Bill of Sale?
An Alaska motorcycle bill of sale can assist you in transferring ownership of your motorcycle through the state title and registration process. According to the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles:
- All motor vehicles in Alaska must be registered with the state.
- If you are working in Alaska or establishing residency in the state, you have ten days to apply for registration.
- You may operate your motorcycle for up to 60 days under a current out-of-state registration.
- Alaska residents are required to transfer a purchased motorcycle into their name within 30 days by obtaining an Alaska title.
Is a Motorcycle Bill of Sale Form Required in Alaska?
To transfer the title of a motorcycle into your name, you will need ownership documents, such as the previous title, signed by the seller and the buyer, to verify the legitimacy of the exchange.
Without a signed title, you can use a bill of sale with the necessary identifying information and signatures.
Do You Need a Bill of Sale to Register a Motorcycle in Alaska?
You must present an Alaska title before registering your motorcycle with the state. You can either give the signed-over title or a motorcycle bill of sale in its place.
Either way, having a bill of sale adds a layer of protection for both the seller and buyer in case questions of ownership ever arise.
Motorcycle registrations in Alaska are valid for two years. After the initial registration, you can renew online.
How Do I Transfer Ownership of a Motorcycle in Alaska?
The title transfer process for a motorcycle is the same as for any other vehicle title transfer in Alaska. Follow these steps to transfer an Alaska motorcycle title into your name:
Step 1 – Sell or Purchase a Motorcycle in the State of Alaska
Meet with the potential buyer and negotiate the terms of the sale. After payment has been exchanged, the seller should sign over the motorcycle’s existing title to the buyer and complete a bill of sale.
Motorcycles registered in Alaska require an Alaska title, so the buyer must apply for a new title in the buyer’s name. It’s illegal for a buyer to sell a motorcycle without first obtaining a title in their name.
Step 2 – Find Your Closest Alaska DMV Office
If you live within 50 miles of an Alaska DMV office location, you must visit in person to transfer the title and register your motorcycle. If you live farther than 50 miles from the closest DMV office, see the Remote Alaska Title Procedures for information.
You can complete the title application and mail the documents.
Step 3 – Submit the Appropriate Documentation to Apply for a New Title
You will need to complete and submit the following forms and documents to apply for a motorcycle title in your name:
- Title, bill of sale, or Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (licensed manufacturer or dealer only)
- Alaska Vehicle Transaction Application Form V1
- Odometer disclosure statement, if not included on the title
- Previous registration when purchasing a motorcycle with existing Alaska plates
- Notarized Power of Attorney form if someone other than the owner signed
- Lien release, if applicable
- Proof of insurance, including $50,000/$100,000 for bodily injury or death and $25,000 for property damage
Step 4 – Present the Necessary Paperwork for Registration
To register the motorcycle with the state for the first time, you will need to submit the following paperwork:
- Current out-of-state registration
- Title or bill of sale
- Alaska Vehicle Transaction Form
- Registration fees
Alaska Motorcycle Bill of Sale – No Title
When you purchase a motorcycle in Alaska where no title is available, you may use an Alaska motorcycle bill of sale as proof of the transaction and sign over ownership from the seller to the buyer.
Does an Alaska Motorcycle Bill of Sale Need to Be Notarized?
An Alaska motorcycle bill of sale form must only be notarized if someone other than the owner signs it. This could occur if a motorcycle is gifted as a part of an estate settlement where the previous owner is deceased.
In that case, you would need a notarized Power of Attorney form to accompany the bill of sale.
Buying and Selling a Motorcycle in Alaska
If you want to sell your motorcycle in Alaska, you can use local ads or marketplace services to list your bike for sale. Ensure you include all the relevant information about the motorcycle and your asking price.
Meeting with the Potential Buyer
When meeting with a potential buyer for your motorcycle in Alaska, be sure to meet them in a public place and verify that they are licensed to operate a motorcycle.
How to Write a Motorcycle Bill of Sale in Alaska
1. Choose a Motorcycle Bill of Sale Template
We offer a free, printable motorcycle bill of sale for Alaska for your convenience.
2. Record the Sale Price of the Motorcycle
You may consider checking other local motorcycle listings for comparable sale prices in your area. You can also have your motorcycle appraised by a professional appraiser who will tell you its value.
This may be worth the effort if you have any customizations or upgrades that would increase the sale price significantly.
3. Fill in the Buyer and Seller Information
This section includes all buyer’s and sellers’ first and last names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses. You may also want to obtain photocopies of each party’s photo IDs for verification.
4. Fill in the Motorcycle Information
This should include:
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Current odometer reading
- Description and details of the motorcycle
- Purchase Price
5. Sign and Date the Bill of Sale
Include the seller’s and buyer’s printed names and signatures and the date.
Alaska Motorcycle Bill of Sale Sample
Use our free Alaska motorcycle bill of sale template instructions to create your bill of sale. It’s available in Word and PDF formats and can be downloaded and printed for your convenience.