A New York motor vehicle bill of sale form (Form MV-912) is a legal document between the seller and the buyer used to transfer legal ownership of your car, motorcycle, or motor vehicle to another party. In New York, a vehicle bill of sale form records that your vehicle was sold and outlines important details of the transaction.
Both the buyer and the seller are required to sign the vehicle bill of sale in New York.
A New York vehicle owner must register their vehicle within 180 days of the effective date of their motor vehicle insurance policy. The owner must also renew this registration every year. Registration is not difficult but is an important part of legal vehicle ownership.
Where to Register Your Vehicle
Documents Required by the DMV Office
To register your motor vehicle, New York requires that you have the following documents:
- Bill of Sale
- Odometer Disclosure Statement
- Vehicle Registration/Title Application (MV-82)
- Proof of Identification (ID-82)
- Statement of Transaction (DTF-802)
- NY State license plates if you want to transfer plates to this vehicle
- Valid driver’s license
- Registration fees
- New York Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney (if signing for someone else)
Proof of insurance that meets minimum requirements
- $25,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 for death for a person involved in an accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury and $100,000 for death for two or more people in an accident
- $10,000 for property damage
New York Vehicle Bill of Sale Sample
Below is a printable New York motor vehicle bill of sale in PDF and Word format. You also use our template builder to create a customized document for your vehicle sale.