A cleaning contract is a legal agreement between the cleaner and their client. It sets forth the terms of the contract and what is expected from the cleaning services.
A free cleaning contract template makes it simple to create your agreement, you can download one below.
What Is a Cleaning Contract?
A cleaning contract is a legal agreement that defines the relationship between a client and the cleaner. A cleaning services provider like a housekeeper, maid, or commercial cleaner should always use a written agreement.
Many cleaners are independent contractors who work for themselves. Others are employees of a cleaning company. Both should get a signed agreement from their clients.
Cleaning contracts are also called the following:
- Cleaning service contract
- Cleaning agreement
- Cleaning company contract
- Cleaning services agreement
When To Use a Cleaning Contract?
You should use a cleaning contract whenever you offer cleaning services to customers. This could include situations such as:
- When you are hired to clean an apartment or home
- When you are hired to clean a building or office
- When you are hired for either one-time work or recurring work
- When you sell goods as part of your cleaning services (i.e. cleaning products)
If you are wondering whether you should use a written contract, the answer is yes. It is the best way to protect your rights and protect you from potential disputes.
Why Use a Cleaning Contract?
A cleaning contract protects your legal rights. A template cleaning agreement gives you the legal language you need to protect against confusion, legal claims, and many other serious problems. It also gives you the following benefits:
- Clear expectations about the cleaning work
- When and where the cleaning work will occur
- Details about payment and hourly rate
- A way to handle satisfaction issues or legal disputes
- A way to reduce confusion and arguments between the cleaner and clients
- A binding legal document in case someone violates the agreement
What To Include in a Cleaning Contract
A cleaning agreement template provides the sections and legal clauses you need to create a comprehensive contract. In your cleaning contract, you should include all of the following:
Date of the Cleaning Contract
The cleaning contract should be dated on the day it is signed. This is often the agreement’s effective date and it may have important legal significance.
State Where It Is Signed
The cleaning agreement should include the state where it was signed. This may determine what laws apply to the formation and enforcement of the contract. A separate provision can choose a different jurisdiction’s laws to apply if the parties wish.
Party Information and Contact Details
The cleaning contract should detail the parties’ contact information, such as the following:
- Each party’s full legal name
- Any business names and official titles of signatories
- Each party’s address and other contact information
Description of Cleaning Services
A printable cleaning contract template contains a “description of services” section. You should include detailed information about what the job will entail. This could include, but is not limited to, the following:
- What equipment is provided by the client and what is provided by the cleaner
- A list of cleaning services expected by the client
- Where the cleaning will occur, including particular addresses
- Specific dates or a schedule for when cleaning will occur
- Types of products or cleaners
- Liability and insurance information
- How long the contract will last
Price and Payment Information
The cleaning contract should contain detailed information about the cost of cleaning services. If it is a one-time cleaning contract, it may have a flat or hourly rate. Other contracts may be based on an invoice for regular cleaning services. Use a cleaning invoice to request payment.
In any case, the contract should be clear and easy to understand. This helps avoid disputes over how much the cleaner is owed.
A major benefit of a template cleaning contract is the standard legal provisions it contains. These provisions help protect the rights of the cleaner and the client. These provisions include the following:
- Right to inspection
- Limitation of liability
- Warranties and disclaimers
- Governing law and disputes
- Entire agreement provision
Signature Lines for the Parties
An enforceable written cleaning contract requires the parties’ signatures. The agreement has a section for the parties to print and sign their names at the bottom.
Cleaning Contract Sample
A sample cleaning contract lets you get started on your agreement. You can download a cleaning service contract template below, in PDF or Word format:
Cleaning Contract FAQs
Should a cleaning services agreement include a confidentiality clause?
If you need to protect company information, you should include a confidentiality clause in a cleaning services agreement. Including a confidentiality clause ensures that the cleaning contractors are legally bound to keep the company’s information confidential.
What do residential and commercial cleaning cover?
Residential cleaning services cover home cleanings such as floors, bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, and living areas. Commercial cleaning covers offices, corporate buildings, retail stores, and other places of business.