A moving contract is a legal agreement between the moving business and the client that can help to avoid potential disputes. It outlines key details about the job (for a home or business relocation) and includes important legal provisions to protect the parties’ rights.
What Is a Binding Estimate and a Non-Binding Estimate?
Moving companies will usually provide an estimate of what their services will cost. Some of these estimates are binding, and others are non-binding:
- A binding estimate is one that — once given — cannot be increased even if the costs of the job increase. It is a set price that generally cannot go higher.
- A non-binding estimate could change depending on specific circumstances, such as increased costs to make the move.
Why Use a Moving Contract?
You should use a moving contract anytime you enter an agreement to move property or hire someone to move your property. Both independent contractors and employees of a moving business should get a client to sign a written service contract.
A written agreement protects your rights and gives you benefits such as, but not limited to the following:
- Clear expectations about the move.
- Set price points or estimates about the cost of moving services.
- Starting and ending addresses.
- Neither party will be surprised by how long it takes to move.
What to Include
Your moving contract template should specify important sections and legal provisions, such as:
State and Date
Your moving agreement should include where it was signed and the date it was signed. These are critical pieces of information if a legal dispute would happen later.
The moving contract should identify the parties and their details. This includes:
- The parties names
- A business name, if applicable
- Official titles
Description of Moving Services
The moving contract template should have a section that describes the services the moving company provides, such as:
- What will be moved.
- Whether the project is commercial or residential.
- Where the materials will be picked up and delivered.
- The price of the services and a rate calculation.
- Whether or not any goods are sold as part of the moving services.
Specific standard legal provisions protect a business and client. These might include warranties, liability waivers, governing laws, etc.
A signature block is a section where the parties print and sign their names. This legally binds them to the written moving contract.
Moving Contract Sample
Our free moving contract sample can help you start your written agreement. You can also use our document builder to customize a contract that fits your needs.