Table of Contents
- IA Residential Lease Agreement: Download a Free Template
- View Sample PDF
- IA Landlord and Tenant Laws
1. Download a Free IA Residential Lease Agreement
All states are mandated by Federal law to include certain uniform requirements in all Rental and Lease Agreements. For instance, all agreements should include:
- The personal and identifying information of both the tenant and landlord,
- A description of the premises being leased,
- Pet and smoking allowances or prohibitions,
- Certain health and safety disclosures,
- Security deposit specifics, including the amount of the deposit and conditions for returning it,
- Rent details, such as when and how it should be paid.
Most states will likely differ on certain rental and leasing requirements, therefore it’s highly recommended potential tenants acquaint themselves with their individual state’s specific renting requirements. Failing to familiarize yourself with such requirements could jeopardize your renting, legal, and financial future.
In some states, landlords might be required to give several days notice before entering the premises for non-emergency repairs, while others may have no statute at all. Other states may require landlords to provide tenants with health and safety pamphlets, or give notice of past flooding, or if the property was used as a meth lab.
Select the appropriate state where your Lease/Rental Agreement is to be executed to learn about important requirements and differences.
2. Iowa Residential Lease Agreement Sample PDF
The sample lease agreement below describes a contract between “Landlord” Kevin Lee and “Tenant” Olivia Graham. She agrees to rent a duplex in Columbia for $1,000 per month for a fixed term beginning on June 01, 2017 and ending on August 09, 2017. The tenant agrees to pay for all utilities and services for the Premises.
This is a good example of what provisions a simple lease agreement might contain, and how one should look in its final form.Iowa-Lease-Agreement-Form-Template
3. Iowa Landlord and Tenant Laws
Iowa imposes specific and distinct requirements for landlords and tenants when executing a Lease/Rental Agreement. For example, Iowa statute provides for the following:
- Iowa landlords are allowed to request up to two (2) months rent as security deposit. (§§ 562A.12(1))
- Security deposits shall also not be commingled with a landlord’s personal funds. (§§ 562A.12(2))